Dr. Karilyn House & Dr. Joseph Renzi
Pediatric Dentistry is an age-defined specialty that provides primary and comprehensive dental care for infants and children through adolescence, including those with special health care needs. The American Dental Association acknowledges Pediatric Dentistry a specialty. To become a Pediatric Dentist, a Dentist must complete at least 24 months in an advanced education program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the ADA.
Pediatric Dentists are specially trained in growth and development, behavior guidance, care of medically and developmentally impacted individuals, caries (cavity) prevention, sedation, pharmacology, hospital dentistry, orthodontics, as well as traditional areas of dentistry.
Many adults with dental phobia trace their fears back to a negative experience as a child. It is important for young children to have positive dental experiences at a young age. Pediatric Dentists and their office personnel enjoy working with children and work to make dental visits fun and enjoyable, minimizing stress as much as possible. Starting dental visits with a Pediatric Dentist by age 1 is important for establishing a “Dental Home” so that children feel comfortable going to the Dentist. Starting children with early dental visits can also help avoid the need for more extensive dental treatment later in life.
What service does a Pediatric Dentist provide?
Similar to General Dentistry, Pediatric Dentistry addresses the health of the tooth and gums. Pediatric Dentists focus on the unique requirements of children of all ages and the unique needs in each age group.
Due to the training and experience of our doctors, we provide true comprehensive Pediatric Dentistry. Our expertise allows us to offer treatments that are often unavailable in other Pediatric Dentistry offices.
Some of the services provided by our Pediatric Dentists include:
- Dental examinations and cleanings, digital x-rays
- Fillings and crowns, cosmetic Pediatric Dentistry
- Pulp therapy and root canal therapy
- Space maintainers
- Athletic mouthguards
- Soft tissue surgery
- Management and treatment of dental trauma
- Oral Surgery—from simple extractions to impacted wisdom teeth
- Nitrous oxide/oxygen, light sedation, moderate sedation
- Hospital Dentistry
- General Anesthesia—provided by a separate anesthesiologist
We understand that children are not mini-adults. Children do not have the coping techniques of adults and require different behavior management techniques to be comfortable during dental visits. We understand that each child is unique and our doctors strive to make your child’s visit comfortable. Our goal is to set the stage so that children will grow into adults who enjoy going to the dentist.
Our Pediatric Dentists have the patience, empathy, knowledge, and experience when working with children so that they feel more comfortable during dental visits. The doctors and staff take dentistry seriously, but we often use humor and playfulness to help make the visits less stressful.
Dr. Joseph Renzi & Dr. Karilyn House work with children in a welcoming office. They provide a wide variety of treatment options, possessing the expertise and training necessary to take care of your child’s oral health.
In case you have any inquiries about Pediatric Dentistry, or if your child needs oral care, please do not hesitate to contact us.
What sets us apart
- We are one of the oldest established pediatric dentistry practices in Orange County with over 53 years combined experience
- Both Dr. Renzi and Dr. House are Board Certified Pediatric Dentists
- Dr. Renzi and Dr. House have California Conscious Sedation Permits (very few pediatric dentists have this–permit #62 and #408)
- Dr. Renzi and Dr. House are evaluators for the California Dental Board Conscious Sedation Permit on-site evaluation
- Hospital privileges at 3 Orange County hospitals
- Dr. Renzi and Dr. House are Part-Time faculty at USC Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry supervising the Advanced Pediatric Dentistry residents at CHOC Children’s Hospital in Orange
- We provide soft tissue laser treatment
- Dr. Renzi and Dr. House maintain PALS certification and BLS certification
- Dr. Renzi and Dr. House are Class II laser certified
- Dr. Renzi and Dr. House give lectures at local and state dental and hospital organizations as well as for parent groups
We are proud of our unique practice and enjoy practicing all the different aspects of comprehensive pediatric dentistry. Our doctors and staff are constantly taking continuing education classes and learning about new materials and techniques that can improve the way we provide care for our patients. We look forward to meeting you and your family.
Make an appointment today…..at the office “Where Healthy Smiles Start!”